7th Grade ELA Overview
Throughout the year, we read an array of differentiated texts including novels, short stories, informational texts, academic essays, poems, and meaningful quotes. By viewing and discussing each, we will allow ourselves to understand, analyze, and connect the words and ideas with our own lives.
Additionally, we follow each part of the writing process in order to develop narrative, argumentative, expository, and research-based pieces of work. This year, there is a strong focus on students’ ability to support their ideas through text-based writing and the use of research.
7th Grade ELA
Here is an overview of the most important skills we will be working on this year:
- Engaging in novels through whole class, independent, and book club styles
- Improving nonfiction reading skills, including analysis and synthesis
- Developing vocabulary skills and connections through root words, prefixes, and suffixes
- Focusing on narrative, expository, argumentative, and research-based writing
- Using skillful compositional risks in writing
- Reviewing, practicing, and learning new grammar instruction
- Practicing skills using Achieve 3000 and other digital tools